EARLY FISHING AT VENUS BAY
Aborigines armed with sticks and spears fished as a group. After catching a great haul of fish they would cut them into steaks, dry them and carry them on journeys inland.
When fishing first became a way of earning a living at Venus Bay the men used wooden boats with oars or sails to get to their patches. They lived in tents and brought their fish in weekly to be sent to market when netting became legal in the late 1940’s a greater variety of fish were marketed, including Salmon and Tommy Ruff, these were filleted and packed for markets in Adelaide and Melbourne.
During the late 1940’s Venus Bay became the home port for several boats engaged in shark fishing, these hauls were mostly trucked to Port Lincoln. Decreasing numbers caused this to actively cease after several years.
In the early 1960’s one fish market closed in Port Kenny, Kon Paul then opened a fish works in 1964. In the mid 1970’s he obtained a boat and license for prawn fishing which his children Nick, Yianni and Terry still hold and run, today unfortunately, due to an increase in size limits for fish and netting being disallowed in the bay, the fish works had to close its doors. Currently the Paul family own two prawn boats the “Limnos” and the “Bosanquet Bay” which head out in the prawn season. They cook and freeze their catch at sea and pack it ready for sale locally and in Adelaide, Victoria as well as parts of Queensland.
Crayfish boats also operated from Venus Bay however decreasing stocks led to a reduction in crayfish licenses and these are restricted to working for six months of the year.